Monday, September 28, 2009

Short Take On A Long Weekend


Part of my primary social group (my eldest son from Florida and his family) came to visit Friday evening and stayed till Sunday afternoon. I awoke before the others on Saturday morning, got dressed and was making breakfast when they started waking up, taking their baths, getting their first cup of coffee. 
My daughter, in her rush for work, put her breakfast in a bowl and took it with her. I watched as she rushed out the door and found myself, if only for a moment, envying her for having 'somewhere to be'.
It was hot and humid all day Saturday but despite the hot weather, my two-and-a-half year old granddaughter and I spent some time outside; playing ball, swinging together and petting the cat. In my attempt to be a fun Nana, I sat up a play-hut and got down on my hands and knees crawling through it, hoping she would join me but she just looks over at me like I've lost my mind then goes off chasing the cat.   
While I was out late Saturday afternoon getting pizza for our dinner, it came a sudden downpour that lasted only a few minutes, then, a beautiful rainbow appeared and for some reason, in just that instant, I felt truly happy.
After everyone went to bed, I lay on the sofa and fell asleep watching a movie.
Sunday's weather was slightly cooler and nicer. 

-  

14 comments:

Betty Manousos said...

Congratulate you on your guests. It sounds you had a really nice day:)
Have a fabulous Monday!

erin said...

It sounds like you had a nice weekend! I enjoy your blog alot.

Ekanthapadhikan said...

Hi! I'm back in circulation!!

And that pic. of the rainbow is really beautiful. Did you take that snap?

And the part where you crawled on your feet and arms to amuse your grand daughter was really funny. I'm not old enough but I've had such moments with my little nephew. I mean, the kids now-a-days are too smart for their age!

Lisa said...

It sounds like a beautiful, full weekend. I miss the days of crawling on the floor with babies. I suppose when I am a grandma I can do that again. No shame in crawling on the floor I say...

4evernite said...

Betty and Erin, I did have an ok weekend. Thank you for your comments. Have a great Monday!

Ekan, so glad you're back!! :-) I didn't take the snap but its as lovely as the one I saw.

2busy, no shame at all. :-) Happy Monday!

Stacey J. Warner said...

Oh how I envy your downpour, I miss the smell of rain drenched earth. Sounds like a wonderful weekend and rainbows also make me happy!

4evernite said...

Thanks Stacey. Hope rain comes your way soon.

Anonymous said...

awwwww rainbows, something new and promising about them, ya know;)

I love that u love your granddaughter enough to crawl on your knees for her..very sweet;)

Maria said...

what a perfect day it sounds like!!

Nevine Sultan said...

Sometimes the best place to be is just home. And with the weather turning out like it did, what a treat! I would love to have some rain, right this very minute! Enjoy the rest of your week...

Joey said...

That actually made me happy. No lie. I try to make my little 3 year old sister think im fun sometimes, she gives me the same look.

Breadwinner Wife said...

Fun! Nothing better than being with family:)

Kerree said...

That made me want grandkids. Or maybe another baby. I haven't gotton down on my hands and knees in a while (except to scrub the bathroom floor :(

Cathy said...

Sounds like the best part of your life is whatever concerns your children - still, isn't it nice when they're sleeping and you're lazily reading in the tub lol?